Happy Memorial, I hope you’re enjoying it.
For me, it’s just another Monday, the only difference is I have Mrs. Rawson sleeping off a hangover upstairs and my oldest is spending the weekend at her grandparents. Oh, and I’ll be gorging on ribs and chicken wings in five or six hours. But other than that, I still have 4000 words to write and a semi-grumpy five-month-old to contend with. But I got a bug up my butt to do some blogging while the baby takes her morning nap. By the way, I’m going to be using bullet points because I really have no idea when the baby will wake up, plus I’m a little scattered today.
- Whenever I’m writing a lot, I rarely read novels. Short stories, poetry, essays, I’m fine with, but I usually can’t handle an 80,000 word novel. I hate it, but it’s just the way my brain works.
- This oddly doesn’t apply to book length nonfiction. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that most nonfiction doesn’t seep into whatever project I’m working on.
- I really like Jon Ronson, his books are a ton of fun. I’m currently reading So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed, it’s fun stuff.
- I’m currently working on a haunted house trilogy of novellas. They’re a ton of fun, and, no, I’m not writing them under my own name.
- Speaking of ghost writing, I have a new column at LitReactor about it. You can check it out right here if you haven’t already.
- I pitched my first full length crime novel yesterday. The money’s good and the publisher is enthusiastic. I also hope I didn’t just jinx myself by mentioning the pitch, but I’m excited.
- I don’t know if I’ll be writing it under my own name?
- #1 question I’m most often asked about ghostwriting: Doesn’t it piss you off that it’s not your name on the cover? Most common answer: No, not one damn bit. I’m kind of over the whole “recognition” thing.
- Okay, I am reading one novel, Dodgers By Bill Beverly. If you like The Wire, it’ll be right up your alley.
- I really like Preacher on AMC. No, it’s not a word-for-word, panel-for-panel adaptation, but it’s fun. Although, I can see it going True Blood by season three if it lasts that long.
- Mrs. Rawson got me hooked on Girls. That show’s some funny shit.
- I haven’t watched any movies lately. Mrs. Rawson and I were going to see The Nice Guys on Saturday, but blew it off because we rarely have the house to ourselves and we were a little pooped out. Wrangling a baby is tough work.
- Scarlett turned five-months-old on the 25th and I just fed her her first solid food this morning. Time is flying.
- I listen to a lot of music. In fact, if Mrs. Rawson and my oldest daughter didn’t make me turn it off so they could watch TV, I would always have music playing. Anyway, I’ve really been into the MC Oddisee, so I’ll leave you with a track by him. I hope you’ll check it out.